Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Just Small Fry


No, you're not seeing things. What you have right here is a drawing of two eggs in a frying pan, surrounded by not one, not two, but THREE separate puns.

I'm incredibly fascinated by the writing of this Valentine, especially since they bypassed the more common forms of egg punnery (ie replace "ex" with "egg," making "egg-ceptional," "egg-cellent," "egg-sperimental physics," egg-cetera), beginning with a callback to the frying pan, proceeding on to the expected (egg-spected) "good egg" line, before hitting it out of the park with the surprising, evocative "heart of gold." Color me impressed.


Dave's first-view reaction: That's pretty punny.*

*It's gonna be a long two weeks.

All these darling Kewpie-style anthropomorphized ladies make me want to wear a bright red lippie and some Betty-Boop eyelashes

Even the gents have some pretty eyes

Does this refer to, like, the fish? Or the potato?
Where's my 1950s puns to Modern English dictionary?

I did this totally freehand because the original drawing had the text in a weird place.
The Os are in the shape of eggs because I'm clever.
Also because I'm not good at lettering freehand.

Those shoes! Those heavy, black, shiny shoes!
Now I know where my grandpas got them.

No comments:

Post a Comment