Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Dia de los Muertos


Congratulations on making it halfway through this ridiculous journey of mine!

I'm still out of black chalk and I won't be able to make a run to the art store for a few more days, so I'm continuing my "large swaths of white space" drawings! Today: a skull for Dia de los Muertos!

I remember studying this in Spanish class in high school, eating sugar skulls and watching a documentary about people partying it up in a graveyard. Good times!

This muralcle was a lot of fun. I started with a badass skull drawing by the crazy-talented Thaneeya McArdle, but after I outlined and did the eyes and nose, I decided I wanted to decorate the rest of the skull completely freehand. I got to try out my totally awesome new neon Crayola sidewalk chalks and two hours later ended up with this technicolor beauty. Those eyes...mesmerizing...

Dave's first-view reaction: Spooky!





Blue border hair

 PINWHEEL EYES!!!

 Gilded widow's peak

 A surprisingly bare grill

Strawberry nose!

No comments:

Post a Comment