Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Gashlycrumb Tinies


A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
B is for Basil assaulted by bears
C is for Clara who wasted away
D is for Desmond thrown out of a sleigh...

I'm following up yesterday's Addams Family muralcle with another spooky cartoonist, Edward Gorey! I had a lot of great choices for a Gorey-themed muralcle, but ultimately I decided to go with the world's most inappropriate picture book, The Gashlycrumb Tinies.

So many adorable children! So many terrible accidents! Such deadpan little faces, subconsciously aware of their fates...

I really loved the grayscale on this picture. It's my first muralcle that was just black, white, and gray, and it was fun keeping things to such a limited palate, especially after the color-bomb that was yesterday. Also loved debonair Death with his umbrella and floating scarf. Not to mention the kids' perfect little Brit-tot outfits.

Dave's first-view reaction: Awww. That's so cute. ["Really?"] Yeah. ["Do you know what The Gashlycrumb Tinies is about?"] No... It's something bad, isn't it? Please don't tell me. I don't want to know what happens to those kids.



 That girl on the right is so over this

Left to right, I believe this is Hector, Amy, and Leo

Plaid and gingham, in gray

I like Death's gloves


For some reason, I always want to say "tinnies"



No comments:

Post a Comment