Thursday, December 6, 2012

A Christmas Carol

Ignore the weird foot pedestal!
Okay, for this one, I admit, it was a good idea but the execution could have been a little better. My idea was to do A Christmas Carol, but using the original 1843 illustrations by John Leech as the inspiration. The problem? Leech used pen and ink, and I use chalk, and chalk is not the greatest substitute for ink. Also, Leech's drawing is incredibly intricate (and beautiful), but those details aren't the clearest when translated into chalk, which necessitated some weird redesigning. It also didn't help that I ran out of black chalk...

As a result, it's not quite as awesome as I would like, but thankfully, seeing as every cartoon/TV show seems to have their own Christmas Carol, I have a couple more chances to do Dickens right.

Dave's first-view reaction: I like the robe. It's a nice green.





I actually really liked these letters.
Who knew the original typography for A Christmas Carol would be something right out of a DIY wedding?

Come in and know me better, man!
I could have done a better job with his chest hair.

By the time I got to Scrooge, I had sort of figured out the shadow/color ratio of the original. Sort of.


No comments:

Post a Comment