Friday, December 21, 2012

A Rockefeller Christmas


There's something lovely about New York in the Christmas time. I spent a couple of years in New York, and it was delightful how seriously people took Christmas--lights on every house, candles in the windows, overpriced Christmas trees hogging the sidewalks. This is a city where hot cocoa is a way of life and lovely, outdoor skating rinks can be found in every nook and cranny.

Now that I am exiled in the Midwest, I miss my New York Christmases, so I decided to bring a little Manhattan flavor to Chicago with today's muralcle, featuring the Rockefeller Center skating rink and Christmas tree.

Confession: I have never been to Rockefeller Center during Christmas time because as a local snob, it was always one of those places I avoided thanks to massive amounts of tourists (see also: the Statue of Liberty, Times Square on New Years, the Village on Halloween, and Shake Shack from noon-2PM). BUT, I do like Rockefeller Center quite a bit, especially the ridiculous Lego store (basically a free theme park) and drool-worthy Bouchon Bakery.

And as a special Christmas present to Dave, I stuck his favorite Rockefeller Center resident, Tina Fey, waving out a window. See if you can spot her!

Dave's first-view reaction: [sees mini Tina Fey, starts laughing/crying/hugging me]




Prometheus!

You can recognize her by her glasses

The tree.
We watched the lighting and this year, like all years, I felt disappointed that there wasn't more razzle-dazzle,
like some fancy light show where the lights gradually come on until the whole tree is lit.
Instead, Bloomberg might as well have shoved a giant plug into the wall
before warning all us kids not to bump the cord and don't play with the bulbs
because if you accidentally pull one out half the lights are gonna go off!


No comments:

Post a Comment