Monday, December 24, 2012

Mickey's Christmas Carol


"What are you doing today?" Dave asked as I wiped clean the chalkboard.

"Mickey's Christmas Carol," I said.

"Didn't you already do that?"

"No."

"Yeah, you did. The other day."

"That was Muppet Christmas Carol."

"No, there was another one."

"That was the regular Christmas Carol."

"So this would be the third version you're doing?"

"Well. Fourth if you count Scrooged."

Yes, for the penultimate Christmas muralcle, I went back to my Christmas Carol roots with Mickey and the gang. Like with all Christmas Carol reimaginings, most of the fun comes from seeing all your favorite characters appear as Dickens characters. They mostly get it right (although they lucked out in already having a character named "Scrooge"*), and I am especially fond of Jack and the Beanstalk's giant** as the Ghost of Christmas Present and Jiminy Cricket as the Ghost of Christmas Past. But Goofy as Marley? Beyond the tripping on chains joke, I just couldn't ever see it.

This one was fun to draw! I finally figured out that flat cartoons make for fast work, and despite the level of detail and number of colors, I knocked this one out in a little under two hours.

And now I'm prepping for THE VERY LAST MURALCLE! Oh man. Can you imagine? I have been picturing this moment since I began this crazy project, and I can't wait to start drawing this afternoon.

Dave's first-view reaction: Good job, love! How do you do them so fast? [I can't believe, at this point, he now considers a two-hour drawing "fast"]


*Fun fact! If you search on Wikipedia for "Scrooge," Scrooge McDuck is the first hit, above Ebenezer.
**His name is Willie. Enjoy that bit of trivia at your next dinner party!




Donald as nephew Freddy and Scrooge McDuck as Scrooge McDuck

Goofy (woefully miscast!) as Marley

Mickey and Minnie as the Cratchit family

Random little Mickey as Tiny Tim

Willie the Giant as the Ghost of Christmas Present
and Jiminy Cricket as the Ghost of Christmas Past

Pretty typography (I'm coming around!)

No comments:

Post a Comment