Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Nutcracker


I am a recovering ballerina, having danced from ages 3-13 and then through college. Since moving to Chicago, I've started taking some classes again. It's fun! In a very "why am I not as flexible/skinny/strong as I was when I was ten?" sort of way.

So I have a very close relationship to The Nutcracker, the ballet which every dance school in America is legally required to produce each December. Since I started dancing, I've been one of Mother Ginger's children, a mouse, a toy soldier, a snowflake, and a party guest. I want to also say maybe one of the fairies that danced with the Sugar Plum fairy?

Sadly, I quit before aging into a solo (which has to be the number one reason so many schools put it on--there are a zillion solos of various skill levels, ages, and genders), but I'm pretty happy that my performing days are over. When my current ballet teacher tried to recruit me as an adult party dancer for the local school's production, I laughed and laughed and laughed and then realized she wasn't kidding. Then I told her that pretty much the only upside to dancing as an adult was that no one would have to actually watch me.*

Today's muralcle, which features the Nutcracker Prince and Clara, is based off a photo of the Houston ballet's production of the Nutcracker. I know nothing about the Houston ballet, but I liked the Prince's Usain Bolt-like stance and Clara's arabesque.

Dave's first-view reaction: What?! I missed it?! [I had wiped this one before he came home] Good job. [I ask him if that's really all he's going to say] Is this going on the blog? [I tell him yes. He thinks for a while and then gives a thumbs up. I express disappointment and he cackles.]


*I actually have a very weird, calm sort of stage fright, where I don't get nervous but I do completely blank out on stage. I never actually freak out--I just do nothing. I can count on two hands the number of times I've had to perform and the music starts and I'm supposed to sing/dance/act, and my brain is just sort of like "Yeah, I'm not going to do this. Sorry."




I was always a little bummed that once she gets to the Land of Sweets,
basically all she does is sit on a throne and watch stuff

Massively impressed by men who dance the Nutcracker in giant papier-mache heads

Sweet little slipper en pointe


No comments:

Post a Comment